Valkyrie Kerry on Writing and Sanity

 What is sanity? That is the question posed in 'Equilibrium.' what is sanity, as opposed to insanity. As an author, my writing initially examined emotion as a fine line between health and illness. This question, combined with a personal love of the horror genre, guided my work into the realms of horror and all of its sub-genres. I could discuss this further, but this anthology relates directly to life during the pandemic. Rather than examine the horrors of the pandemic, I would rather tell an uplifting story in this blog. Let's shift the bleak moods of late to a genuine fairytale.

Writing, for me, is more than a career; it is a vocation. As such I produce work across multiple media platforms. My primary genre, as discussed, is horror. In April 2020, one month after lockdown, my largest work; a book called 'Horrotica' was released and subsequently became an international best-seller. During the month of May I was engaged in book promotions across most social media. Twitter was one such platform. I had not used my Twitter account to any great extent, even though it had existed for several years.

During one such promotion a gentleman with an RPG account, Brett, sent me a romantic post. As a rule of thumb I discourage what one may class as forward behaviour but in this case the post was not remotely crass. I was invited to write fanfiction for the related group and formed a strong bond with Brett. In July we launched a Hannibal Lecter (me) and Dexter Morgan (him) story. At this point I was receiving virtual flowers every morning and more. 'Hannibal and Dexter' was initially a series of one-shot tales until the day he suggested a longer and ongoing saga. Every few days we would write, every few days the plot would thicken (much like Scheherazade maintaining the Sultan's attention) and Brett would wrap me up in increasingly complex narratives. 

Our bond strengthened and our relationship progressed, however I was concerned as he lived 6000 miles away. Eventually we opened up about our feelings and wishes. We have now been living together for six months and have an RPG group called, 'Legacy Tales' with some truly remarkable friends. I am working on my PhD (Film: Horror Genre) and the second edition of 'Horrotica' is due for release shortly as is my horror novel, 'Kane.' Our next planned project is to write a psychological horror together.

So, what is sanity? Taking the safe route? Avoiding risks? Fleeing from emotion and opportunity? If that is sanity then I will pass on it and continue on my creative path, our creative path, in the horror realms with someone equally open minded.

The second edition of 'Horrotica' will be dedicated to Brett Dyer and our fairytale ending.


Valkyrie Kerry lives in Ireland with her partner, co-writer and best friend. She has ten internationally best-selling books including 'Horrotica' and 'Voorhees.' Currently she is undertaking her second PhD and has been published in multiple journals and magazines including; 'Soft Cartel,' 'Grotesque,' 'TigerShark Horror,' 'Short Break Fiction,' 'Plum Tree Tavern,' and the 'Some Poets,' anthologies.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gates of Chaos is LIVE!!!

Scott Dyson on linear/non-linear storytelling