Chris Stenson on Dreams

 


At the beginning of the pandemic I lost two important influences in my life, my dog Molly, and my father. My father was the one who inspired my love of words and books. We were interested in the same authors, we bought each other books, and we discussed writing. He died before my dream of becoming a published author was realized. Our birthdays are approaching. His is on April 19th, mine is on April 20th. This will be the first year we won’t celebrate together.

I struggled. I struggled writing, focusing, and I had a hard time concentrating, not just on pages, or paragraphs, but some days on single words. At unexpected times, sadness would overwhelm, and tears would fill my eyes. Most days words wouldn’t flow. I quit querying my novel because the rejections bit too hard. However, like most of my life when times were tough, I could count on books. Books provided a place where I could disappear into and find solace.

I have a great writing support group. My wife, my daughter, and my writing friends wouldn’t let me quit.  I returned to querying, collected rejections, and received a couple full reads that turned into nice no’s. I wasn’t writing a lot of new words, but I latched onto Twitter’s #vss365 and started to use their daily word prompts to jump start my creativity.

Twitter is also where I found my publisher. Several times a year they have an event called #pitmad, where writers can pitch their novels in a single tweet (280 characters). If the agent or publisher likes it, the writer can send their query, a synopsis, and sample chapters. In October, they had a horror pitch event #pitdark.

Here’s my pitch:

All Isabelle wants is a history. She invents one, only to learn the story she’s writing is real. The demons from her mother’s past want her soul, for the darkness inside to be set free, for the doors between realities to be opened. The war for Isabelle’s soul has begun.

Sage’s Tower Publishing liked it. I sent my query letter, my synopsis, and my manuscript. Two weeks after “Two Bobbies” was accepted, I received an email that stated. “We think Sins of the Mother would make a great addition to the Sage’s Tower family.”

Don’t give up on your dreams, they do come true.

Dad, this one’s for you.




At a young age, American author Chris Stenson had success winning young author contests and his love for writing continued throughout high school and into adulthood. He is the founder of a local writer's group that has hosted nationally known authors as guest speakers. He is currently working on his debut dark fantasy/ horror novel Sins of the Mother which will be published by Sage’s Tower Publishing sometime late 2021 or early 2022.  He can be found at www.chrisstensonauthor.com.  His first novel will be published by Sage's Tower Publishing. www.Sagestowerpublishing.com





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gates of Chaos is LIVE!!!

Scott Dyson on linear/non-linear storytelling